May 19, 2018

Plant Palette - My Roses

I love my roses.  They produce so many outstanding flowers and fragrance.  I've only been planting David Austin roses the last couple of years.   Here's the roses blooming in my gardens this spring.

We'll start off with my favorite at the moment.  Queen of Sweden what do I like about you?  I love the upright tight cups of pink.  Delicate pink above a glaucous leaf.   Stunning.



A good performing rose in yellow hues for San Francisco is Julia Childs.


I think this one is Molineux.  I'll have to get the tag and update.  This photo doesn't look like the one of David Austin's website.   My buds here have the orange blush.


Unknown mauve or pale violet.  Not a good rose for our climate.  It gets black spot first and the sawfly maggot loves to skeletonize the leaves as seen below.   My boss loves it and it as done better after I move it to a prime sunny location and fertilized it well.


This climber below blooms once a season, no repeats.  I think it is french.  A gardener told me it was Rosa 'Excellenz von Schubert' and seems to resemble those images available online.   It looks so good here with the white (or pale yellow) irises and self-sowing cineria.



Julia Childs in foreground and Queen of Sweden behind it.




Gertrude Jekyll has exceptional fragrance as clearly stated on David Austin's website.  Wow!  That's a big blossom, 5-6" across.


Rosa 'Mme Alfred Carriere'


Rosa 'Sombreuil Climber' is climbing up a dying bay tree.


Rosa 'Olivia Rose Austin'  The Sawfly maggot loves to eat this one's leaves.  I don't know, but it seems like some roses "taste" better to the sawfly.   My worst pest here.


Rosa 'Windermere'


Unknown rose.  Need to see is client has the name.  I love how the undulating petals brighten into the middle.


And it is in a small pot.  Roses are so tough.   I must find a home for it in the garden.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Bookings and Inquires, please leave in comment section with your email address or phone number. This will not be published to my blog.

Trending Posts on MUG - San Francisco Gardens